history

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!ihnss!ihuxl!ignatz utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!ihnss!ihuxl!ignatz
Fri Jan 15 01:12:39 AEST 1982

I've gotten into the UNIX game a bit late...my first encounter was here at
BTL at Indian Hill with Micro-UNIX 3.0 (An 8086-based full implementation
of UNIX). Since I had to do dingies like add a diskette driver, a new i/o
driver, new signals, etc., I had to teach myself UNIX, with only the hoary
old Lyons books as mentors. I noticed, of course, many things which logically
evolved and grew; but there is one thing which has invoked my curiosity.
   In UNIX 3.0, there is an array of type 'var', named only 'v'. It contains
a number of items, and I have my own theories of why it was added; but rather
than embarass myself (if I'm wrong), I'm asking anyone who knows to please
tell me:

1) WHEN (release-wise) did this thing get added to UNIX?

2) WHO added it?

3) WHAT was their original purpose?

If you look at the source listings for 3.0, you'll see why I'm interested
when you see the places this thing crops up.

			Thnx much & happy hacking,
			Dave Ihnat
			ihuxl!ignatz
			(312) 979-6747
(P.S. - unless this is of general interest, reply to me...)