2.8 from a TS-11; 4.1 and TU58

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!menlo70!sri-unix!obrien at RAND-UNIX utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!menlo70!sri-unix!obrien at RAND-UNIX
Mon Jan 4 19:42:37 AEST 1982

	There's a huge fight currently going on concerning the TU-58.  DEC
is apparently in the process of designing a method to upgrade all the TU-58's
in the field to put in a new, less restrictive protocol (MRSP, for Modified
RSP).  Otherwise the thing's too hard to use, and in fact impossible under
4.1BSD.  There's a driver, and if you contact me privately I'll tell you
how to get it, but on our machine, at least, it's pretty useless.

	Don't bother beating on your salesman to get the FCO early.  Until
Maynard develops its Master Plan (and I think they plan to start with the
11/44's, since they've had the most trouble), your salesman will be
completely unable to find out that the upcoming FCO even exists.  However,
if those of us with 750's could get together and forcefully point out to
DEC that the TU-58 is a dandy software exchange mechanism (like the 780's
floppy), maybe we can get something done.  Our friends within DEC have
done about all they can.