PS COMMAND PROBLEM

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!menlo70!sri-unix!solomon at uwisc utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!menlo70!sri-unix!solomon at uwisc
Fri Jan 1 20:09:18 AEST 1982

I'm not sure how many people will respond to you problem, since not many
people are that familiar with V6 UNIX anymore (we are about to chuck
our last V6 system).
The problem is that PS needs to know which device is used for swapping
and it does it by peeking inside /unix (which should be the a.out for
the current kernel).  It uses the namelist (see nm(1)) of /unix to
find out where to look.  However, somebody decided that that was too
inefficient, so it keeps a record of where to look in a file (/etc/pssym,
or something like that).  Whenenver you change the kernel, things get
moved around, so you have to update the info.  Look around for a
program called psset (or something like that, I think it's in /etc)
and run it (without arguments) as su.  Be sure the current version of
the system is in /unix before you do that.  (A common strategy is
to keeps several versions around with the current one linked (ln(1)) to
/unix).
A better fix to your problem is to stop running an obsolete version of
UNIX!

	Marvin Solomon
	ucbvax!uwvax!solomon
	solomon at uwisc