DECnet/Unix Survey Results

utzoo!decvax!shannon utzoo!decvax!shannon
Sat Jan 23 23:30:39 AEST 1982

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my DECnet questionnaire.
I have summarized the results below; if you require more detailed
information, contact me directly.  I have received 12 responses (so
far, but it's not too late to send one in, I'm still interested).

I should emphasize again that the survey was not done for DEC-the-
corporation, but for my own information.  I expect to start implementing
some sort of DECnet capability for Unix very soon for our own internal
use.  If I am allowed to release my work I would like it to be something
that would be useful to other people.

					Bill Shannon
					DEC Unix Engineering Group
					decvax!shannon
					(603) 884-5044

1.  Do you require a supported product?  Must it be supported by DEC?
    Yes: 1                               Yes: 0
    No:  11                              No:  12

    Comments:  Nearly everyone stated that the source would have to
    	       be included if there is no support.  One person
	       requested hardware support, preferably by DEC.  Two
	       persons who didn't require support felt that it would
	       be preferable to have it.

2.  How much would you be willing to pay:
	Supported:  Ranged from $5K-10K.
        Unsupported:  Ranged from $500-1500.
        Other prices:
		Twice current VMS DECnet price, if supported
		Standard DECnet prices if full featured & supported.

3.  What versions of Unix:     VMUnix: 10   V7: 6    SIII: 5

4.  Would you be willing to buy hardware to support DECnet?
    	The general feeling here was yes, if the cost was
 	not prohibitive.  A number of persons stated that
	they already have the necessary hardware.

5.  Do you need to talk to all DEC systems, or is VMS enough?
	Only one person said that VMS would be enough.  Other
	systems named were:
		RSX-11 (5)
		RT-11  (3)
		DEC20 (4)
		DEC10 (1)
		IAS11 (1)

6.  Is Phase III end-node capability enough, or do you require routing?
	Two persons required routing, seven did not.

7.  What hardware support do you require?  Is DMC/DMR enough?
	In general, DMC/DMR was felt to be good
	enough.  Specific requests were stated
	for 10Mbit Ethernet and RS232 tty lines.

8.  Is X.25 support required?
	Nearly everyone felt that while the support is not required,
	it would be highly desirable.  Only two no's on this issue.

9.  Which of the following capabilities do you require:
	File transfer: 11
	Mail: 10
	Virtual terminals: 8
	Essentially no one required transparent remote file
	access, although many said it was desirable.

10.  Should it be integrated with any other Unix networking
     capabilities, e.g. Arpanet, uucp, Berknet; or should it
     be entirely separate?
	While not required, most sites responding felt that
	integration would be highly desirable.  Other networks
	named were:  Ethernet, Chaosnet, TCP/IP, Internet,
	and BRLnet.

11.  Comments.
	The people who were most enthusiastic about a DECnet capability
	for Unix had many VMS or TOPS-20 systems that they wanted to
	be able to talk to.  As expected, no one seemed interested in
	connecting several Unix systems with DECnet.