A suggestion for a change to biff

utzoo!decvax!watmath!jcwinterton utzoo!decvax!watmath!jcwinterton
Fri Mar 12 15:03:46 AEST 1982

Mark Horton's note and the subsequent one on access modes for teletypes
reminded me of why I set "biff n".  The other system I use here politely
says <BEL>**Mail Waiting** instead of outputing several lines of junk in
the middle of the stuff you are looking at.  The suggestion for just a
<BEL> is certainly minimal, and I think, insufficient.  Too many other
things ring bells as an error indication.  How about changing biff to
not print out more than some minimal thing (eg <BEL> you have mail) and
letting it go at that?
		John Winterton decvax!watmath!jcwinterton