cp rds fault

utzoo!decvax!duke!harpo!floyd!trb utzoo!decvax!duke!harpo!floyd!trb
Tue Mar 23 15:37:05 AEST 1982

Here at Whippany BTL we have (at least) 3 VAXen running 4.1bsd.  They
(mine especially) have been getting cp rds faults.  Here at Whippany,
these are pretty rare among non Berkeley VAX UNIXes and unheard of
under VMS (which treats them in software).  For you curious folks out
there, cp rds stands for Central Processor Read Data Substitute and has
something to do with inconsistencies in memory data transfers.

My VAX will run for a week or two and then crash with some cp rds
faults, then run, then crash...  Exasperating.  DEC just comes in and
runs microdiagnostics until my floppy wears out.  Help?

My VAX was installed during Thanksgiving and I STILL don't have my
remote diagnostic console.  Is this a common problem?  DEC just keeps
telling me to wait until next month.
	Andy Tannenbaum   Bell Labs  Whippany, NJ   (201) 386-6491