UNIX Mathematical Functions History

utzoo!utcsrgv!utcsstat!geoff utzoo!utcsrgv!utcsstat!geoff
Mon May 10 16:27:41 AEST 1982

I can't seem to get mail to csk at ucla-security so I am replying to the
whole group. Sorry.

v6 math library routines usually contain a comment like this from
atan.s:
	coefficients are #5076 from Hart & Cheney;
v7 comments are usually like this from atan.c:
	coefficients are #5077 from Hart & Cheney (19.56D).

`Hart & Cheney' refers to Computer Approximations by Hart, Cheney,
Lawson, Maehly, Mesztenyi, Rice, Thacer, Witzgall, published by Robert
E. Krieger Publishing, QA297.C64 1978, ISBN 0-88275-642-7.  The
coefficient # (such as 5076) refers to a table in a later chapter;
19.56 refers to precision; I don't know what D stands for.

As well, William Waite at BTL may have had some influence, particularly
a book he co-wrote with William J. Cody, Jr.  called Software Manual
for the Elementary Functions published by Prentice-Hall, QA331.C635
1980, ISBN 0-13-822064-6.

Geoff Collyer, U. of Toronto Computing Services