The Professional 350

RSX-DEV%dec-marlboro at sri-unix.UUCP RSX-DEV%dec-marlboro at sri-unix.UUCP
Fri Aug 19 10:26:00 AEST 1983

From:  John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at dec-marlboro>

In a conversation with Lauren, I've learned that there is considerable
discussion on the network about the DEC Professional 350 and its keyboard.

First -- to DEC's reluctance to give out information about the internals
of the PC 350, such as the bus, the video, and so on.  This was true at
the beginning, because we wanted to reserve the right to make changes
to fix problems, and we didn't want to have an adverse impact on anyone
who chose to implement third-party products if we did have to make a
change.

But the information is now available.  Contact our third-party applications
group for the details.

Second -- the keyboard.  There is now an ISO standard for keyboards.
The main array of DEC's keyboard obeys this standard, and we'll all
be seeing a lot more keyboards like the PC 350 keyboard on future
products from many manufacturers.

I've seen a lot of flaming about keyboards in various digests; it
seems that the bottom line is usually simply "I want all my keyboards
to be the same."  So obeying an ISO standard should be good for us
all.

Since I'm not a subscriber to either info-micro or unix-wizards, please
send any replies directly to me.
   --------