handy tip #502

JPAYNE at BBNG.ARPA JPAYNE at BBNG.ARPA
Wed Aug 3 22:41:00 AEST 1983

Actually you invent what BH at sail did at LSRHS.  The tty driver catches
CONTROL-_ and interprets the next character typed in a special way.  The
next character can be one of the following:

	i	initialize the terminal i.e. all the special characters are
		reset, and the terminal is put in echo -cbreak -nl -tabs
		mode ...  This is useful when your new interactive video game
		has a bus error ...

	k	send sigkill to all processes running on this terminal
		(this is the one that would solve all your problems (I think))

	l	print the current load average

	r	print who has reserved this terminal

	t	ps -l on this terminal

Whenever I go to a different UNIX, I miss the t option when I don't know
whether my program is in the process of blowing up, and I miss the l
option for when I am bored, waiting for my C compile to finish.

Useful!