filename hoopla

wartik at trwspp.UUCP wartik at trwspp.UUCP
Sun Aug 7 07:33:31 AEST 1983

non-printables and non-ASCII's: Guy, it isn't correct to call
the non-ASCII's "characters", because they aren't part of the
standard character set, and therefore the shells aren't obligated
to treat them as such (this in turn leads to commands such as "dsw"...).
My personal view is that I would like to see Unix(tm) not accept
file names that contain non-ASCII's (most likely just by stripping
the eigth bit off -- the alternative is to add a new error number,
and I'd hate to have to change all existing software).  However,
I agree with you that there are uses for file names with control
characters and spaces.

				-- Steve Wartik
				decvax!trw-unix!trwspp!wartik