funny characters in filenames

ron at brl-bmd ron at brl-bmd
Thu Aug 4 07:18:26 AEST 1983

From:      Ron Natalie <ron at brl-bmd>

I remember back in the days of early computer days when we got
our first HP timesharing system at school (I had gotten pretty
good at repairing card punches and wiring up 403 program boards).
Originally it was possible to use all kinds of characters in the
file names.  I always thought that "MAGIC[]" was a marvelous name
for a magic square program.  I was very disheartened when a new
release came out forbidding anything other than alphanumerics in
the file names.

-Ron