Database Needed

rock at phonlab.UUCP rock at phonlab.UUCP
Wed Aug 3 06:24:17 AEST 1983

	I have been given the task of setting up a database of student
information for the Linguistics Department here at UCSD on a PDP 11/44.
The machine is currently running 2.8BSD (soon to be 2.9).
	They now receive information on students from the registrar at
the beginning of each quarter. It is one file containing one line of
information about each student registered in a Linguistics course. Each
line contains a course code number, a student ID number, the student's
name, and some miscellaneous garbage. The department would like to be
able to search the file by name, course code, or student ID, add or drop
students from courses by adding or deleting a line of information from the
file, and keep running records of student grades throughout the quarter.
Lists of students in a given course will be made as the quarter progresses,
and at the end of the quarter final grades are to be computed based on the
grades entered for each student during the quarter.
	I am unfamiliar with databases and would appreciate advice on
something that might work or references to find more information on
determining a database that might work. I would prefer to choose something
popular enough that other people might be familiar with it for the sake
of getting questions answered and having a chance at finding a programmer
later that might be willing to maintain the beast. A more supported product
would make it easier to document as well, again for future users. Please
respond directly to me and I will try and report whatever findings to the
net in some succint form. Thanks,
					Rock Hunter
					...ucbvax!sdcsvax!phonlab!rock
					UCSD C-008