AS bug

Larry.Osterman%cmu-ee-ampere at BRL.ARPA Larry.Osterman%cmu-ee-ampere at BRL.ARPA
Fri Aug 19 01:26:00 AEST 1983

According to the documentation, "The following constructs are
(optionally) recognised by as to indicate the number of bytes to
allocate for unresolved expressions used to satisfy displacement or
indirect displacement addressing modes
	B^ or B`	to indicate byte lengths
	W^ or W`	to indicate word lengths
	L^ or L`	to indicate long word lengths"

We are working on a program that will take a BLISS-32 program running under
VMS and run it under Unix.  Since the VMS object code format is
different than that of Unix's, we are taking the bliss listing file and
converting the machine instructions in it.  However, BLISS uses these
displacements, and when we try to put them into the converted AS file,
AS prints out the error "LP expected".  If we parenthesize the
addresses, AS prints out "Expression Syntax Error".

				Larry Osterman
					oster%ampere at CMUC