ISO Text Processing Standard

Bruce Cohen brucec at orca.UUCP
Tue Aug 2 07:37:09 AEST 1983

Apologies to anyone who gets this twice; we had a uucp failure which
dumped a lot of mail and news on the floor.

The standard in question is not yet publicly available in the sense
that it is an approved standard with an official number.  As a result,
the normal channels for getting copies of a standard will not work for
the document.  In any case NTIS is not the place to get ANSI or ISO
standard documents, since neither is a US government agency.  To know
where to get copies of a standards document, you need to be able to
parse the document ID number.  That number is is: ISO TC97/SC5/EG
CLPT-X3J6 N177.  This means that it is an International Standards
Organization document, produced by the Experts Group on Computer
Languages for the Processing of Text (hence EG CLPT) of Sub-Committee 5 of
Technical Committee 97.  This group is working with American National
Standards Institute Technical Committee X3J6 (responsible for text
processing) to develop a common draft standard.

It is sometimes possible to get draft ANSI documents from the secretariat
for the ANSI committee involved, which is CBEMA (Computer and Business
Equipment Manufacturers Association) for all the X3
(computer standards) committees of which X3J6 is one.  Their address
is:

	X3 Secretariat:CBEMA
	311 First Street, NW
	Suite 500
	Washington, DC 20001

The draft standard I have (an earlier version) lists the ISO
secretariat:

	Secretariat ISO/TC 97/SC 5/EGCLPT
	1430 Broadway
	New York, New York 10018

PLUG:
ANSI is a volunteer organization, run on the dues paid by its members.
Voting membership on a technical commmittee costs $100 per year for
the sponsoring institution, and (I believe) $50 per year for
alternate members.  It will also generally cost the delegate roughly
20% of his working time (you are expected to help develop the
standard, not just kibbitz).  If you or your institution has an interest,
commercial or  technical in an evolving standard, by all means join
ANSI and make your voice heard.

				Bruce Cohen
				UUCP:	...!teklabs!tekecs!brucec
				CSNET:	tekecs!brucec at tektronix
				ARPA:	tekecs!brucec.tektronix at rand-relay

------- End of Forwarded Message