p_nice, and scheduling - (nf)

notes at CSvax notes at CSvax
Fri Aug 12 02:02:44 AEST 1983

#R:sri-arpa:-374800:pur-phy:12700016:000:625
pur-phy!crl    Aug 11 10:46:00 1983

Running a program niced does indeed have a good effect on the system.
We have a PDP-11/44 and run 2.8 bsd.  About 1 1/2 years ago, we implemented
a system where one a user logged out, his/her jobs would be niced to
25.  On our system, nice values range from 0-39, 20 being the default.
Having almost any reasonable number of these niced jobs in the background
is almost like having none at all, at least, that's how it looks to
interactive jobs.  On a busy day, I've seen these jobs not get a second
of runtime for 4-5 hours at a time.  It's definitely a win to do this.

Charles LaBrec
pur-ee!Physics:crl
purdue!Physics:crl