max number of user processes in 4.1

Steven M. Kramer smk at linus.UUCP
Fri Aug 5 00:24:55 AEST 1983

I recently said that 25 was the max number of user processes in 4.1
Everyone is telling me 20.  This is how I arrived at 25.  In ../h/param.h,
MAXUPRC is defined to be 25.  In ../sys/sys1.c, fork() calls a routine
that among other things, checks that it has room for another process.
It checks to see if the process table is full (root gets the last process
there, ...) AND it checks that MAXUPRC is not exceeded for all other
users.  Why did everyone say 20? Is it because in ../sys/param.c that
NPROC is (20 + 8*MAXUSERS)?  That's the closest I could see.  All
this tells is that the number used in the conf file is used to help
determine the overall buffer space, but not individual quotas on processes.
--
	--steve kramer
	{allegra,genrad,ihnp4,utzoo,philabs,uw-beaver}!linus!smk	(UUCP)