nice

mike.rice at rand-relay mike.rice at rand-relay
Fri Aug 12 16:58:59 AEST 1983

From:  Mike.Caplinger <mike.rice at rand-relay>

Everybody who sent me constructive comments about the scheduling of
niced jobs in 4.1; thanks very much.  Alas, nobody knows anything
conclusive.  Who WROTE the scheduler?  Come forward and confess,
because nobody else is quite sure how it works.

Everybody who told me to serialize the jobs:  thanks but I think you
missed the point.  If serializing them is the only solution, then the
scheduler isn't much, is it?  Either that, or system resources are very
poorly managed under 4.1.  VMS, much as I dislike it, can run 4 batch
jobs simultaneously one priority tick below interactive on the same
hardware, and interactive users are rarely if ever impacted.