funny characters in filenames

scw at ucla-locus scw at ucla-locus
Tue Aug 2 01:01:00 AEST 1983

From:  Steve Woods <cepu!scw at ucla-locus>

    I was discussing this with my collegue Ralph Muha, who suggested
    .
    .
    .
    stick the test in wdir() or some such place.  --Jim
I would agree with you except that ' ' is a valid char in a file name
(as someone said earler ingres generates almost all of its names with
spaces in them). Alos there are other thing running around that
need/want filenames to have spaces in them (such as protection files to
keep *DUMB* people/prolllllers from 'rm *' (a file in that directory
named ' protect' with mode a-w will make rm pause (hopefully ' protect'
will be the first file that is found)).