tree search order

Mark Brader ntt at dciem.UUCP
Tue Aug 23 07:50:34 AEST 1983

  Historical note to Doug Gwyn's complaint about the use of
[1]    leaf, preorder, postorder, endorder
  where "the real meanings" are
[2]    leaf, preorder, inorder, postorder
  respectively.

  The terms in line [N] above will be found in the Nth edition of
  Volume 1 of Knuth.  Oh, all right, of The Art of Computer Programming,
  Volume 1, Fundamental Algorithms, by D.E.Knuth.

  In the 2nd edition (and later ones, I presume) Knuth repudiates the
  awkward terminology of the 1st edition, with a remark to the
  effect that fortunately nobody else had adopted it!

Mark Brader, NTT Systems Inc., Toronto
(I have 1st and 2nd editions at home, as a result of being married)