none

cpr%Shasta at sumex-aim cpr%Shasta at sumex-aim
Sun Aug 7 06:39:00 AEST 1983

Has anyone noticed that 4.1a/c and 4.2 Unix DO NOT speak true TCP/IP on
Ethernet?  They speak a private protocol that involves the use of trailing
IP headers for some packets for efficiency's sake.  I'm all for efficiency,
but shouldn't they negotiate the use of these trailing IP header packets
before using them?  (I've only verified this is true for 4.1a, and I've been
told it's true for 4.1c and 4.2.)  Doesn't this bother anyone?  I guess
everyone is assuming they'll have sources, and will go in and turn off the
trailing IP header code if they want to talk to a non-Berkeley Unix system.

I claim this is a crime.  This software is being touted as running TCP/IP,
and, in fact, it isn't.

Where is the outcry?

/Chris Ryland, IMAGEN
(arpa: CPR at MIT-XX, g.ryland at Score; uucp: {decvax, shasta, ucbvax}!imagen!cpr)