arg agin shr libs

fostel at ncsu.UUCP fostel at ncsu.UUCP
Fri Aug 12 01:41:56 AEST 1983

    Someone suggested the following: a prog is written using a lib subr.
    IF the lib is shared, then the subr code is NOT in the prog.  Sooo
    if the subr is changed the prog will fail to work even though it has
    not changed a whit.

    SO WHAT?  Such software rot is a fact of life.  For my money, I would
    prefer to have my program fail NOW, soon after the change, rather then
    keep a source/binary pair which are a lie.  HuH?  Well, i would rather
    not have a source/binary pair with the property that if you recompile
    it (again no changes at all) it will stop working.   It will with the
    present UNIX libr scheme, since someone will have replaced the libr subr
    in the libr the "cc" look for.

    I think we have a new argument FOR shared libraries.
    ----GaryFostel----