What is small, beautiful, and costs less than a DPS/8M

Zigurd R. Mednieks zrm at mit-eddie.UUCP
Tue Aug 30 13:09:24 AEST 1983

C'mon, dmr. I know its an old idea, but you seem to have forgotten why
Multics never caught on. It has much less to do with the software than
the cost of Honeywell mainframes. Offhand I'd say that VAXen are about
threefold more cost effective than DPS series machines.

But don't worry, dmr, I'm too busy hacking LISP Machines to do micro-mult.
There is also the fact that SriTek's 16000 board will make home VMUnix
possible (I'm thinking of the Faraday PC clone, the SriTek board, and
some random disk from Eli Heffron's back room). I probably would not even
lust after Multics given a 4.2BSD system on my desk.

Cheers,
Zig