another argument against shared libraries

silver at csu-cs.UUCP silver at csu-cs.UUCP
Fri Aug 19 15:15:41 AEST 1983

We use them on the HP9000 Series 500.  The most common calls went into a
special  library  that's loaded (once) by the OS during  initialization.
Almost ALL object files immediately "lost weight", a significant amount.
Ergo,  they load  faster  and eat less  memory.  We have had NONE of the
problems discussed here (about breaking existing code, etc.), though the
product is young yet.  (We'll have to watch out for them, that's all.)