# of processes per user (4.1bsd)

finn at pur-ee.UUCP finn at pur-ee.UUCP
Sun Aug 7 11:55:25 AEST 1983

I recently said that 25 was the max number of user processes in 4.1
Everyone is telling me 20.  This is how I arrived at 25.  In ../h/param.h,
MAXUPRC is defined to be 25.  In ../sys/sys1.c, fork() calls a routine
that among other things, checks that it has room for another process.
It checks to see if the process table is full (root gets the last process
there, ...) AND it checks that MAXUPRC is not exceeded for all other
users.  Why did everyone say 20?
--
	--steve kramer
I had always understood that the max # of processes/user was 20 also, so

	Merely an Arch-Druid among Wizards...
	David Hesselberth,	Purdue University Computer Center
	{harpo, decvax, ucbvax} !pur-ee!finn  (or)  !pur-ee:pucc-h:adr