Paging != Virtual Memory - (nf)

ks at ecn-ee.UUCP ks at ecn-ee.UUCP
Mon Dec 5 09:37:51 AEST 1983

#R:fortune:-183200:ecn-ee:13000004:000:787
ecn-ee!ks    Dec  4 17:53:00 1983

I have never noticed any real problems with swapping..  I have seen 60-80
users on a 4.1BSD system comfortably without noticeable swapping.
Although, 110 users logged in did tend to kill it.
It is true that system performance does drop significantly when
swapping is necessary.  I don't think I can ever recall a system around
here swapping unless someone is using more virtual memory than the physical
memory available.  Perhaps your machine is scimpy on memory.. How much do
have?  I think most around here have 4 meg, with some heavily used machines
having 8 or 16 meg..  The problems you mentioned have never happened to me.
In my book, Berkeley is the only REAL UNIX for a VAX..

					Kirk Smith
					Purdue EE