Does anyone use the parallel port on their DMF?

donn at sdchema.UUCP donn at sdchema.UUCP
Sat Dec 10 11:15:14 AEST 1983

I have a friend who has a friend who wants to buy a graphics unit that
would connect to their VAX11/730 with a DR11W-type parallel interface.
The DEC DMF on the 11/730 has a parallel port; we decided to ask around
and see if we could use it for the graphics interface.  We found that:

  +	The standard 4.2 Unix driver does not handle the parallel
	port.

  +	Armando Stettner at DEC says that no one in his group has
	written a DMF driver that handles it, nor is anyone planning to
	write one.

  +	The friend of a friend has a friend who called Berkeley and
	found that no one there had any idea of what to do with the
	parallel port.

  +	This same person called DEC Maynard and was unable to find
	anyone who knew how to use the port, and apparently was even
	told that no VMS driver for the DMF handles it.

  +	This person (and my friend) have been unable to come up with
	any specifications on the port that would help them to write a
	driver for it.

Perhaps the parallel port is just a rumor and never existed in fact...
If anyone on the net can contradict this suggestion by providing a
driver or a publication number for the spec on the port, I would
appreciate being enlightened...

Donn Seeley    UCSD Chemistry Dept. RRCF    ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdchema!donn
32 52' 30"N 117 14' 25"W  (619) 452-4016    sdcsvax!sdchema!donn at noscvax