Intel 8086 tools on Berkeley VAX Unix

phil at amd70.UUCP phil at amd70.UUCP
Sat Dec 17 05:16:43 AEST 1983

My last article on 8086 cross development tools has attracted the interest
of Intel's Development Systems group (DSO). Like the company I mentioned
before (SSI) Intel believed the only operating system used for cross
development on Vaxen was VMS. They are now willing to receive further
market input, but didn't want to use the net to indicate that because that
might be construed as commercial use of the net. As a user, I believe that
I am allowed to post such information and that's what this article is about.

I would like to add that SSI wrote their tools in C and the porting effort
for them is very low so there is a good chance they will make a VAX Unix
offering. Intel's tools are written in PL/M so the effort for them is higher.
This might also be a good time to tell Intel what you think of their language
support (PL/M vs C) and to point out that had their tools been written in
C it would have been easier to support Unix.

If you would like to tell Intel what kind of tools you wish to use,
please call:

	Jim Ting, (408) 987-4961

Again, I would appreciate mail from people who found this article interesting.
--
Phil Ngai (408) 988-7777 {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd70!phil