sendmail prog aliases don't understand mixed case

Lepreau at UTAH-20.ARPA Lepreau at UTAH-20.ARPA
Thu Dec 15 10:20:31 AEST 1983

From:  Jay Lepreau <Lepreau at UTAH-20.ARPA>

If you don't want case folding of "usernames" there's a per-mailer
config flag that controls it-- the "u" flag.  Just add it your local and
prog mailer lines.  There's also an analagous flag for host names.

However, I now think it's a lossage to do that-- as a minor problem,
remember that "postmaster" must be case-independent?  More importantly,
lots of mail will get returned because non-unix people just can't seem
to avoid capitalizing names.  We preserved case here, cause we had some
mixed case usernames, until I perused the logs and noticed a lot getting
returned.

Also, this is still a bug of sorts, as you would like to be able to mail
to files and programs while still folding real usernames.  And indeed,
the READ_ME file in the sendmail source dir so documents it as one of
the three outstanding "major problems."
-------