8086 tools on VAX

Phil Ngai phil at amd70.UUCP
Sat Dec 10 06:36:40 AEST 1983

Some time ago I posted a request for information on 8086 tools running
on Berkeley VAX Unix. I received various replies and would like to thank
everyone who wrote. However, no one had exactly what I wanted. Intermetrics
came close, but it's not quite enough.

I just talked to a company called "Systems and Software, Inc". They offer
a product called REX-SMA/186. The feature they have that no one else I know
of has is INTEL ENVIRONMENT COMPATIBILITY. Their tools are upward compatible
with Intel ASM-86, LINK-86, LOC-86 and LIB-86. I consider this very important.

Intel is always going to have emulators first. To use them you'll use their
development system. If your cross development tools are not compatible with
the Intel environment, then it's almost worthless to have cross development.

Now comes the reason for this article: SSI thinks the market is mostly VMS.
They aren't scheduled to have a Unix version until July, 1984, but the
guy I talked to indicated if he got a lot of requests they could accelerate
the Unix version.

So, would everyone who's even slightly interested please call

	Wilson Chan, (714) 241-8650

and tell him how wonderful Unix is and how you wouldn't even consider using
VMS to do cross development on. I would also appreciate mail from people
who found this article to be of interest.

--
Phil Ngai (408) 988-7777 {ucbvax|decwrl|ihnp4|allegra}!amd70!phil