Vaxen Performance for Unix

Dave Mason mason at utcsrgv.UUCP
Thu Dec 1 05:49:24 AEST 1983

The university department I teach in (not U of Toronto) is considering
buying a VAX to run UNIX.  My question is: How much VAX do we need for
40-50 ports, mostly students (maybe average 5 faculty) doing program
development & simple text applications.  We won't have any fancy printers,
so won't be running things like ditroff etc.  In particular answers to
the following would be appreciated:
	1) What processor? 725, 730, 750, 780, 782?
	2) How much memory?
	3) How much disk?
	4) Are DMF32?s visibly better than DZs?
	5) System V or 4.xBSD?
	6) What is your config & what load does it support?
If you think something other than a VAX is the way to go, I'd like to
hear from you as well.
Please respond by mail.  I will post responses if sufficient interest.
Thanks.

--
 -- Dave Mason, U. Toronto CSRG,
	{utzoo,linus,cornell,watmath,ihnp4,allegra,floyd,mhsta,decwrl,