bug in ucbmail and 4.1bsd csh - (nf)

rpw3 at fortune.UUCP rpw3 at fortune.UUCP
Sun Dec 18 02:06:12 AEST 1983

#R:ucf-cs:-111900:fortune:11600033:000:1072
fortune!rpw3    Dec 17 04:00:00 1983

This is the top of my ".cshrc". I also use the if($prompt), but include
most of the aliases in any case, since I like to have those command
available in shell escapes (yes, it's slow).

The only way I know to  handle the ".cshrc before .login" problem is by
looking at my $PATH (which is changed from system default in .login).
I needed that for the SSH (sub-shell prompt) kludge, which makes each
additional level of sub-shell have another ">" in the prompt:

	7> csh
	1>> date
	Sat Dec 17 03:50:23 PST 1983
	2>> ^D
	8>

I had to do that since 4.1 csh doesn't default unset variables to
the null string, the way good old Bourne does. When building the string
of >>>'s, I had to know when the first one was.
------------

if( $path[1] != /fs/rpw3/bin ) then # we haven't seen .login yet
	setenv SSH '\!'		    # avoid "unset variable" error
	echo '[source .cshrc]'
endif
setenv SSH $SSH'>'
if ($?prompt) then