m & n values for disks

Christer Bernerus bernerus at chalmers.UUCP
Thu Dec 8 04:07:52 AEST 1983

Thank's for your info about m & n value calculation.
I ran your program to check our system's speed.
We're running a VAX 11/780 without FPA and 4.1BSD.
The figure i got is 589 BPS which i think is reasonable.
It would be interesting to know if anybody else has made your test
on a machine similar to ours, with & without FPA.

If one determines the m factor based on this configuration and a
RM05 disk you'll find that m should be about 3.25 which implies
that the interleave factor should be 4, not 3. Perhaps 3 is adequate
if a FPA is used.