Writeable Control Store for VAX 750

Mike Williams XT/DU mike at erix.UUCP
Thu Dec 8 21:16:50 AEST 1983

When we bought out VAX 750 about 3 years ago we thought it would be fun to
buy the writetable controle store (KU 750). We were told that with this
wonderfull piece of software we would be able to write our own micro programs.
We had visions of being able to really change the guts of the system and write
special instruction sets for logic programming languages etc. Alas this was not
to be. Firstly we had to wait for nearly 8 months before the (KU 750) was
delivered. With it we got a console cartridge for loading G and H floating
point instructions.

We had expected to have to write our own micro code assembler and loader for
UN*X but documentation we received was hardly adequate.

Futhermore we could get NO documentation as to how to write micro code for the
750. DEC are not even prepared to give us a listing of the exsiting micro
programs. With this we probably would been able to dig out enough information
to do what we wanted.

If anyone has managed to get more information from DEC or if anyone has any
4.1BSD or 4.2BSD software for loading/programming the KU750 could you please
let me know?

As it is we have asked our local DEC reps to take the KU 750 away and give
us our money back. Such is life.

Mike Williams
...{decvax,philabs}!mcvax!enea!erix!mike