Satz at sri-tsc Satz at sri-tsc
Sat Jul 30 18:07:00 AEST 1983

From:  Greg Satz <Satz at sri-tsc>

I received about seven responses to my query on available SMTP mailers.
All of the brand name mail systems were represented, and a few
"homebrews" were mentioned.  These responses seem to indicate that no
single smtp system dominates the others.  The existance of the
"homebrews" points out a lack in available smtp mailers.  I am
interested in other peoples' feelings and opinions about the
state-of-the-art in Unix mail systems.

In my original message, I forgot to ask about the availability of the
software, and whether the people in question were willing to distribute
their software, or whether licensees were required, etc. Would you please
answer this?

Our sites run an older version of MMDF which have been hacked to death
to use an external SMTP mailer (from BBN, I think).  This requires two
seperate mail queues for outgoing ARPAnet mail.  It has become fairly
reliable, but it is still very fragile.  It has really outlived its
usefulness, and it is time we went on to something better.  We are
leaning toward using Sendmail, but that leaves our phone channel hosts
stranded.  Anyone solve this problem?

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond.