Non-empty /dev/null

mb at root44.UUCP mb at root44.UUCP
Wed Jun 22 20:15:13 AEST 1983

I've seen the same problem on an ONYX that had not had the permissions
on /dev set properly. Once your handy neighbourhood moron has typed
 'rm /dev/null'
and got away with it, you see all sorts of interesting stuff in response to
 'cat /dev/null'
until the next
 'if grep xxx foo >/dev/null; then .....'
clears it out again.
Quit honestly, the state of access permissions on a lot of commercially
available U*IX is a disaster. The ONYX is no worse than others.
Perhaps somebody out there would like to write a shell script that
gets things about right and then post it somewhere handy to save us all
a lot of time? I don't suppose it will happen, but one can dream.

Mike Banahan.