4.1BSD and bad sectoring

ajg%ll-vlsi at sri-unix.UUCP ajg%ll-vlsi at sri-unix.UUCP
Tue Jun 14 04:55:19 AEST 1983

Hi,
  We have one VAX 11/780 "ll-vlsi" running 4.1BSD (tape release 7/19/81)
(error free disk packs) working just fine.

  However we have just attempted to bring up a second
VAX 11/780 with 4.1BSD (tape release date 7/19/81), and
are having problem with bad sectoring.
This VAX has:
     1 SI 9400 controller(massbus)
     2 SI 9775 disk drives (675 MB unformatted)
               each emulating 2 RM05's
     1 TU77 tape drive

These disk packs are NOT error free.

We used the following procedure bringing up the system:

     1) We used the DEC EVRAC diagnostic
        to enter bad sectors

     2) Booted UNIX from tape

Now I use the dump utility to test out some areas of the disk,
e.g.  "/etc/dump 0f /3h/dummy /usr "

I get hard error console messages corresponding to sectors that have
been entered in the bad sector file!!!

Anybody got any ideas what the problem is ??

Note: we have already made the path News-item-number:25
line 112 of hpreg.