4.1BSD and bad sectoring

Dave Martindale dmmartindale at watcgl.UUCP
Wed Jun 22 08:39:24 AEST 1983

	To get bad sectoring to work, it isn't enough to add the sector
to the bad block table via bad144.  The actual header on that disk sector
must have the "bad sector" bit set in order to get the controller to set the
BSE bit.  Only when an I/O aborts because of a BSE error does the driver
go off and look the sector up in the bad sector table.

	One way of doing this (although tedious) is to reformat the
pack.  I suspect that the DEC formatter believes the bad sector file on
disk, so if you add the sector to the file via bad144 and then run the
formatter (I think its name is EVRAC) it will flag it bad for you.
I believe there is also a section of the formatter which will add
sectors to the bad sector file manually.

	Dave Martindale