4.1c Cshell bug?

mike.rice at rand-relay mike.rice at rand-relay
Tue Jun 14 15:49:44 AEST 1983

From:  Mike.Caplinger <mike.rice at rand-relay>

I hope that it's OK to talk about 4.1c these days; I understand we're
one of the last sites in the country to get it, so the rest of you
should have had enough time to get knowledgable.

When I try an "apropos foo" from the Cshell, about 2 times out of 10
it comes back with "/usr/ucb/apropos: Bad file number", indicating mass
confusion on somebody's part.  More rarely it says "apropos: command
not found" when it's clearly there and on the path.  What's going on?