The Security of UNIX - the proposed unix-security

edhall%rand-unix at sri-unix.UUCP edhall%rand-unix at sri-unix.UUCP
Sat Jun 18 18:00:00 AEST 1983

I'd certainly fix any bug that came my way just as fast as I could.
And I've fixed possible security problems reported here before.  But I
think we should realize that system administrators with access to
UNIX-WIZARDS are a minority.  Not everyone is blessed with access
to one of the nets...  But some `bad guys' are.

There really isn't an easy solution.  If BTL were to send bug fixes
to licensees periodically (for an appropriate fee) it might help.  But
the probability of that is exactly zero; besides, they don't have a
monopoly on wizards (as this list attests), and could easily miss
something.

I'm happy to see serious discussion of the issue.

		-Ed