More comments about UNIX Security.

greep%su-dsn at sri-unix.UUCP greep%su-dsn at sri-unix.UUCP
Tue Jun 21 17:06:00 AEST 1983

I like the idea of encrypting these messages.  Among other things, then
we can apply the recent discussion about password selection to key selection,
e.g. should encryption keys like "unix-wreckers" spelled sideways be
disallowed.  One problem would be if something happens to encrypt to the
string "From" at the beginning of a line, and some losing mail system
changes it to ">From".

Of course, another way to look at it is that the list will be so successful
that soon all the holes will be plugged and there won't be any harm to
letting randoms see the messages, which will consist only of congratulatory
commendations on doing such a spendid job of fixing everything.  With all
the wizards around, this should happen in a jiffy (or by the time we all
have unix running on our pocket calculators, at which time the issue will
become moot since shared systems will have become obsolete).