16032 calling sequences

jbray%bbn-unix at sri-unix.UUCP jbray%bbn-unix at sri-unix.UUCP
Sat Jun 11 00:01:47 AEST 1983

From:  James Bray <jbray at bbn-unix>

compiler, I would like to raise the following points. First, I should note
that I don't know the 16000-series, but hear that they are good chips.
  In a general sense,  it seems there are often situations imposed by a
particular architecture in which one must choose between space and speed:
for example, because of constraints in the architecture of the underlying
micromachine, the sis (subtract-immediate-short) macroinstruction on the
Perkin-Elmer 3200-series machines is one machine-cycle (200ns on most of them)
longer than an equivalent shi (subtract-halfword-immediate) instruction. The
sis accepts nibble operands, and is 16 bits long. The shi accepts halfword
operands, and is 32 bits long. There were other instances in which one could
trade a halfword for a cycle or two. One wonders if the -O flag should have
an s/t argument to indicate space vs time... But this wouldn't work for a
calling sequence, which must be standard -- which brings me to the second
point: perhaps NS will reimplement the cxp instruction in later versions to
speed it up; if you have contacts with them, you might try to find out
whether that is possible, or whether it is already up against the limits of
the microarchitecture (I am assuming it is microprogrammed).
  Good luck. It sounds like a good chip, so it deserves a good compiler.

--Jim Bray @ BBN-UNIX