a thought about UNIX login security

satz%sri-tsc at sri-unix.UUCP satz%sri-tsc at sri-unix.UUCP
Sat Jun 18 00:45:00 AEST 1983

We have a similar program that beats up the passwd file looking for
"easy" passwords.  But instead of attacking the problem from a
defensive standpoint, we took an offensive one.  We modified the passwd
program to do some more checking before allowing users to set there
passwords.  If we get a hit, we don't let the user use that particular
password and ask for another one:

1) check his username forwards and backwards
2) check his personel name forwards and backwards, first and last
3) a list of common phrases (and nonwords) forwards and backwards
4) the entire dictionary forwards and backwards

Believe it or not, it doesn't take more then 2-3 minutes to change your
password (on an 11/44) since it uses clear text in its testing.  This
is pretty paraniod, I realize, but it is effective.  It can be rather
frustrating to choose a new password, however.

The only real "hole" left in passwd is that we will still allow
small passwords to persistant users.