Mail security

Steven M. Kramer smk at linus.UUCP
Wed Jun 15 22:00:04 AEST 1983

I was going to stay out of this argument, but now I can't resist.
The 'readability' of a mail file is a compromise of security (if
such things are security-relevant things on your system).
The ability of someone to rm the mail file is not a loss of security
but rather a loss of data integrity.
	To fix the security problem -- make MAILMODE ~600.
	To fix the integrity problem, make the mail dir 755 (root)
	and define the thing that doesn't remove mail when all read
	(because ucbmail is not setuid).
--
--steve kramer
	{allegra,genrad,ihnp4,utzoo,philabs,uw-beaver}!linus!smk	(UUCP)