a thought about UNIX login security

edhall%rand-unix at sri-unix.UUCP edhall%rand-unix at sri-unix.UUCP
Sat Jun 18 09:59:00 AEST 1983

As the former system manager of a campus UNIX system, I am well
aware of many of UNIX's security holes.  Students (and sometimes others)
seem to have a knack for discovering these, and often exploit them
when they do.

Some of these people of dubious morals read UNIX-WIZARDS.  They might
see a paper copy of it circulated around the computer center, or even
have a legitimate entry on the mailing list.

I'm certain that at a half-dozen places across the country someone
is now creating a program to search the UNIX word list for a password.
Maybe they'll get caught, or their program will be killed when its
discovered using up so much CPU.  But a weekend would be all it takes,
and perhaps on a `borrowed' account.

I hope the message is clear.  As much as I'd like to be able to discuss
security issues on UNIX-WIZARDS, I'm afraid doing so can do as much harm
as good.

But everyone who reads UNIX-WIZARDS knows better than to use a trivial
password, right?  Especially system administrators...  Let's hope that
chance that everyone has realized that an 8-letter password can easily
be less secure than 3 random characters.

Excuse the flame; there have been several chances for me to comment on
this in the past.  Some recent sad events on my `old' system inspired
me to write now.

		-Ed