Unix Source Code

lauren%rand-unix at sri-unix.UUCP lauren%rand-unix at sri-unix.UUCP
Fri Jun 17 18:55:00 AEST 1983

My earlier reply on this topic was not CC'd to this list, so let
me comment briefly here.  I recently (in a private message) expressed
some concern over the insertion of Unix source code "fragments" into
messages, usually in the form of "bug fixes".  While I fully agree
that the network represents a useful medium for the dissemination
of bug repairs, I'd like to make sure that some users don't forget
that, according to the letter of the Unix license agreements, the
sending of source code to persons not similarly licensed is not
permitted.  While "fragments" might be viewed differently, I for
one wouldn't want to be the one trying to decide where to draw
the line, and I have already seen some cases (over on Usenet) where
substantial portions of licensed source code may have been rather
freely distributed.

The moral here, I guess, is to please be careful when sending
messages that involve Unix source.  If anybody out there really
understands the contractual issues involved in this topic, I'm
sure we'd all appreciate hearing from you.  Thanks for your attention...

--Lauren--