raw/cooked single char i/o (CBREAK)

P. Tucker Withington ptw at vaxine.UUCP
Tue Jun 14 02:02:50 AEST 1983

Just a nit, but CBREAK does have *one* effect on output (which could really
drive you nuts).

The normal tty driver will not let you *send* EOT (it silently ignores it).
This is to "avoid hanging up some terminals".

The bummer is, that some other "terminals" (e.g., Diablo and emulations) use
small numbers for absolute motions and other terminal settings.  We ran into
this problem when we fine-tuned nroff to really use our Spinwriter.  It would
"glitch" now and again.  The problem was solved by printing in CBREAK mode.

				       --Tucker (ptw at vaxine.UUCP)