Unix Security & Randoms

edhall%rand-unix at sri-unix.UUCP edhall%rand-unix at sri-unix.UUCP
Tue Jun 21 10:00:00 AEST 1983

In my experience most sys-crackers are 18 or under, and are out to
`prove' themselves or to engage in a cat-and-mouse game with an
`authority'.  Many are very intelligent and talented; I can only
shake my head over the incredible waste of their mis-directed
efforts.

However, a lot more of the sys-crackers I've known about have gone
on to have useful educations and careers than the heavy drug-users.
And I think mistakes by CE's caused us as much system downtime.  But
the risk is not so much to the university as to the exponentially-
growing community of commercially-owned computer systems (many of
them UNIX-based).  Perhaps university computer centers should take
some care lest their systems become breeding grounds for more
serious sorts of computer crime.  Most student sys-crackers outgrow
their ways, but I don't think we should ignore that some don't.

		-Ed