Security in General

rlh at purdue.ARPA rlh at purdue.ARPA
Fri Jun 24 23:51:08 AEST 1983

From:  Richard L Hyde <rlh at purdue.ARPA>

	I agree with those who suggest that a hacker trying to break into
systems is not always a bad thing.  For a operating systems class I was
the TA for a few years ago the first assignment was to get as many
passwords and proofs of entry into the system as you could.  This was a
very eye opening assignment and taught alot about security.  It also
help me close alot of security holes because the class had to describe
what they did to get credit.  There was, of course, the rule that
anyone who damaged or destroyed anything would FAIL the course and as a
side effect not get their degree.

	Richard L. Hyde
	rlh at purdue

PS