Emulex SC211 Problems

utzoo!decvax!harpo!eagle!allegra!linus!genrad!grkermit!chris utzoo!decvax!harpo!eagle!allegra!linus!genrad!grkermit!chris
Thu May 12 14:21:32 AEST 1983

I have an Emulex SC211 controller with one disk running on it now.  I
have been trying to get a second disk drive working on the same controller
for a week or two now.  As soon as the terminator is moved to include
the second drive, I can't access either of them.  The new drive has been
tested, and no problems found.  Are there any problems that anyone
knows about with the emulex driver that might cause this problem?

I was able to format the disk using the directions in format(8) for an
emulex controler.  Since the instructions there don't say how to
address different disks, I changed the disk label to 0 and spun the
other disk down while formatting.  This, of course, leads me to believe
that the controller can tell that either disk is there when alone, but
when both drives are spun up the unix driver won't talk to them.

Another thing I noticed that seemed strange is that on bootup, the
console lists both drives as being present even now that I have moved
the terminator back to include only one disk drive.  This has only happened
since I changed our /sys/conf/KERMIT file to say the kernel should look
for a second drive at boot time.  I'd really be worried about it
otherwise. :-)

We have a VAX11/780 running 4.1BSD.  There is one disk (up0) running
quite dependably under the control of the SC211 with the a, b, g, and h
partitions enabled.  The b partition is being used for swap space,
interleaved with the swap space on our rp03 which also has the root
file system on it.  Our user space is on a Xylogics Phoenix 211
controller.

We have gotten the following messages on the console:

up0h: hard error sn2 cs2=100<IR> er1=200<HCE> er2=0
up0h: hard error sn4 cs2=100<IR> er1=20000<OPI> er2=0
up0h: hard error sn2 cs2=100<IR> er1=20000<OPI> er2=0

We get a message each time something tries to access any of the
partitions on the disk that's already in use.  The only things that
change from message to message are "sn2" to "sn4", and whether er1=
"200<HCE>" or "20000<OPI>".

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me about what to try next.
Thanks muchly for reading this far.