Response to HP9000 review by Don Wegeng

utzoo!decvax!genrad!linus!allegra!eagle!harpo!seismo!hao!csu-cs!silver utzoo!decvax!genrad!linus!allegra!eagle!harpo!seismo!hao!csu-cs!silver
Tue May 10 14:21:11 AEST 1983

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Tue, 10-May-83 14:21:11 EDT

Thanks, Don, for the positive  comments  about the HP9000.  It's good to
hear from potential users.

I'd like to  address  one  statement  you  made.  HP-UX is based on Bell
System III with  enhancements and bug fixes.  While we are improving the
reliability  of  HP-UX  over  System  III, we are  avoiding  unnecessary
modifications to the human interface, however much we might like to make
them.  We are  sensitive to the fact that  current  System III users are
familiar with the existing command syntax and semantics.

In particular, the System III version of ps(1) uses getopt(3) to analyze
options, so you cannot omit the leading "-" (as you expected you could).
We have not  changed the options to ps, but,  unfortunately,  the System
III  version  differs  greatly  from the UCB  version,  and this  can be
confusing.

Alan Silverstein, Hewlett-Packard Fort Collins Systems Division, Colorado
ucbvax!hplabs!hpfcld!ajs, 303-226-3800 x3053, N 40 31'31" W 105 00'43"